I got a lot done on the assembly for The Granny Square Project last night.
First I laid all my squares out on the table in the planned 4×6 order and started swapping them around to determine placement. I didn’t want similar colors or squares with the same yarn too close to each other. I stood there moving squares for about 45 minutes and then asked my husband to come take a look and we made a few more adjustments.
Then I started joining. I used the slip stitch method of joining on the wrong side in the two outside loops of the last round of the square. There is a good tutorial here for this and I really like how it looks on the front side. I’ll get a close-up of that tonight.
Vertical Edges Joined
I finished joining all of the vertical sides and tonight I’ll go back and do the horizontal edges. Then I’ll do a few rounds of single crochet edging to finish it out. I really do like the continuity the grey yarn has brought to the squares.
I’ve had to pause only slightly on the Granny Square Project because I got another Etsy order for the Very Hungry Caterpillar Cocoon and Beanie. But it really hasn’t set me back much for two reasons.
- I’ve actually been blocking my squares and haven’t really been having to crochet much anyway. I found this great idea for blocking on Pinterest where you drill holes in a board (plywood in this case) and use small knitting needles to shape the squares. It has worked perfectly! So most of my time on the project lately has been waiting for the squares to dry.
- When I went to get the yarn for the cocoon, I found that I already had a completed beanie and a half completed cocoon! So all I had to do was finish the cocoon and make the pieces for the eyes, nose and antennae and assemble them!
Very Hungry Caterpillar Cocoon and Beanie
The blocking is all finished now and the last squares came off the block this morning. So I am very excited that tonight I will be able to lay all the squares out and start deciding placement!