I got a lot done on the assembly for The Granny Square Project last night.
First I laid all my squares out on the table in the planned 4×6 order and started swapping them around to determine placement. I didn’t want similar colors or squares with the same yarn too close to each other. I stood there moving squares for about 45 minutes and then asked my husband to come take a look and we made a few more adjustments.
Then I started joining. I used the slip stitch method of joining on the wrong side in the two outside loops of the last round of the square. There is a good tutorial here for this and I really like how it looks on the front side. I’ll get a close-up of that tonight.
Vertical Edges Joined
I finished joining all of the vertical sides and tonight I’ll go back and do the horizontal edges. Then I’ll do a few rounds of single crochet edging to finish it out. I really do like the continuity the grey yarn has brought to the squares.
I’ve had to pause only slightly on the Granny Square Project because I got another Etsy order for the Very Hungry Caterpillar Cocoon and Beanie. But it really hasn’t set me back much for two reasons.
- I’ve actually been blocking my squares and haven’t really been having to crochet much anyway. I found this great idea for blocking on Pinterest where you drill holes in a board (plywood in this case) and use small knitting needles to shape the squares. It has worked perfectly! So most of my time on the project lately has been waiting for the squares to dry.
- When I went to get the yarn for the cocoon, I found that I already had a completed beanie and a half completed cocoon! So all I had to do was finish the cocoon and make the pieces for the eyes, nose and antennae and assemble them!
Very Hungry Caterpillar Cocoon and Beanie
The blocking is all finished now and the last squares came off the block this morning. So I am very excited that tonight I will be able to lay all the squares out and start deciding placement!
Squares with Edging
I’m getting very close on this project. Here are most of the squares with two rounds of light grey edging on them.
After I snapped this, I decided that I wanted to actually do four rounds of edging so I am currently going back and adding two more rounds. And I was right. They look much better with more around them. I think it will give the finished afghan more uniformity.
It is not taking too long to do this and I’m getting ready to block all of the finished squares!
Just a quick update. I’ve got the tape washed and blocked. It really makes a big difference to take time and finish like this. Pieces look so much more professional and crisp, no matter what they are.
My sister said she would loan me a Styrofoam manikin head so as soon as I have that I’ll starch it. I want to put at least a light shaping to it. Then I’ll add the elastic.
Monday it’s back to the Granny Squares. I need to do a second square for March to start off with. Then I need to do squares for April through June for a total of 7 squares to be caught up. I suspect that will take me more than just next week.