This is the finished piece I posted about in progress awhile back in Pretty Lace. It’s a very simple lace motif, added to a hair comb with some Swarovski Elements for embellishment. I wore this for the Bridal Show that my Sister over at Vintage Wedding Gems did recently.
There are so many things that can be done to customize this. I can use reclaimed, vintage thread from old doilies, bedspreads or table cloths. I can also make it in new thread in dozens of different colors. It can be added to a clip or button loops instead of a comb. And embellishments are only limited by your imagination!
After yesterday’s post, Intimidated I was going through my yarn to find colors for the June and July squares I have planned for the Granny Square Project. I really have got to get caught up on that. (Now that it’s almost August.)
As I was searching through skeins I found one of many unfinished projects in my stash. This Ripple Baby Afghan was one of my early favorites when I first started crocheting as I have mentioned in a previous post; and it gave me a great idea. I can use this pattern for my first parasol! (With thread instead of yarn of course.)
This is an eight-pointed ripple afghan and I think would be perfect to use as a very simple first attempt. I can add a slight modification with rows of open stitches (dc, chain 2, skip 2 sts, dc) in place of the white rows shown here to open the pattern up and highlight the ripple effect.
Once I get this one done, I think I’ll have more confidence to try something like this beauty.
But first I have got to get caught up on The Granny Square Project! Once I finish the total of 4 squares for June and July I will start right up on this lovely. I really hope it works as I’m expecting it to. Very excited!
There aren’t very many things that intimidate me in crochet, but two of them seem to go together.
I want to crochet a lace parasol. That in and of itself doesn’t intimidate me. I think what makes me shy away is the time. You see, what does intimidate me is crochet instructions that come in the form of a diagram rather than written instructions.
I have never attempted to make anything from a diagram before. I know a lot of people can only crochet from a diagram, and not from written instructions. I am not one of them. This just looks very scary to me. I feel like I would get lost so quickly here.
And for some reason most of the patterns I’ve been able to find for crocheted parasols come in the form of diagrams. Of course. As I understand it, a written pattern for an eight sided doily can be used for a parasol, but there is also some modification that will likely have to be done, including continuing after the doily pattern has finished to fill the whole umbrella frame. This leaves some designing work to be done. And I’m not really afraid of that so much as I previously mentioned, as the time. I’m concerned that I’ll have a hard time making sure I have enough (or not too many) stitches so that they parasol will open and be sufficiently stretched out to be flat but not too loose or too tight because you have to increase with each round as the diameter gets bigger. This could require a lot of frogging and reworking, taking up precious time.
I’ll figure something out and get one made eventually.
Just a quick post here. Here is the latest piece I’m working on. It’s a bit of pretty lace. I didn’t design this one, just using the pattern. It’s not washed or blocked yet, let alone even finished but it should come out very pretty.
I’m also working on a modification to the crocheted tape I posted. It’s soaking in starch right now, so hopefully in a day or two I should have a neat surprise.
Yes, it’s there. I know it’s there. No I’m not going to dye it. And no, I’m not going to pull it out. It’s already fine enough to begin with. So, now that we’ve gotten that over with…
This tape turned out really nice. Doesn’t hurt that it’s my favorite color. After blocking, I went ahead and did some starching to give it a little substance. Then I attached some elastic and single crocheted over it to cover that up. I’d like to do one with some beading in it maybe. Plus, there are several other different types of tape that I would like to try out as well.
I’m going to do a few of these for my Sister to take to a Bridal Fair she’s got coming up. Go visit her over at Vintage Wedding Gems to find out more about it! Right now I’m working on washing out some old doilies and table runners so I can re-purpose the thread for new projects. I think I’ll do a few of these in that thread.
I did get started back on the Granny Squares today. I’ll post that tomorrow.
Just a quick update. I’ve got the tape washed and blocked. It really makes a big difference to take time and finish like this. Pieces look so much more professional and crisp, no matter what they are.
My sister said she would loan me a Styrofoam manikin head so as soon as I have that I’ll starch it. I want to put at least a light shaping to it. Then I’ll add the elastic.
Monday it’s back to the Granny Squares. I need to do a second square for March to start off with. Then I need to do squares for April through June for a total of 7 squares to be caught up. I suspect that will take me more than just next week.
I’ve been wanting to try this crocheted tape for a while now. The pattern is a tutorial on YouTube and you can find it by clicking on the first image.
It’s a neat but simple pattern that could be very versatile. It could be used for edgings, jewelry, or part of an Irish crochet piece. I could even add beading to it to set it off and make it heavier. This one I think I’m going to make into a headband. Right now I’m blocking it so we’ll see how it looks when I’m done. Then I’ll connect the ends with some elastic and crochet around that to cover it. I need to find a Styrofoam manikin head to use for setting it after starching.