After yesterday’s post, Intimidated I was going through my yarn to find colors for the June and July squares I have planned for the Granny Square Project. I really have got to get caught up on that. (Now that it’s almost August.)
As I was searching through skeins I found one of many unfinished projects in my stash. This Ripple Baby Afghan was one of my early favorites when I first started crocheting as I have mentioned in a previous post; and it gave me a great idea. I can use this pattern for my first parasol! (With thread instead of yarn of course.)
This is an eight-pointed ripple afghan and I think would be perfect to use as a very simple first attempt. I can add a slight modification with rows of open stitches (dc, chain 2, skip 2 sts, dc) in place of the white rows shown here to open the pattern up and highlight the ripple effect.
Once I get this one done, I think I’ll have more confidence to try something like this beauty.
But first I have got to get caught up on The Granny Square Project! Once I finish the total of 4 squares for June and July I will start right up on this lovely. I really hope it works as I’m expecting it to. Very excited!
There aren’t very many things that intimidate me in crochet, but two of them seem to go together.
I want to crochet a lace parasol. That in and of itself doesn’t intimidate me. I think what makes me shy away is the time. You see, what does intimidate me is crochet instructions that come in the form of a diagram rather than written instructions.
I have never attempted to make anything from a diagram before. I know a lot of people can only crochet from a diagram, and not from written instructions. I am not one of them. This just looks very scary to me. I feel like I would get lost so quickly here.
And for some reason most of the patterns I’ve been able to find for crocheted parasols come in the form of diagrams. Of course. As I understand it, a written pattern for an eight sided doily can be used for a parasol, but there is also some modification that will likely have to be done, including continuing after the doily pattern has finished to fill the whole umbrella frame. This leaves some designing work to be done. And I’m not really afraid of that so much as I previously mentioned, as the time. I’m concerned that I’ll have a hard time making sure I have enough (or not too many) stitches so that they parasol will open and be sufficiently stretched out to be flat but not too loose or too tight because you have to increase with each round as the diameter gets bigger. This could require a lot of frogging and reworking, taking up precious time.
I’ll figure something out and get one made eventually.