I hadn’t realized it had been so long since my last post here. I haven’t had a lot of time since the baby was born, but I do have several projects that I need to post, so here’s the first catch up post…
This is Persephone Belle on the Ribbon and Pearls Christenting Afghan that I designed in her honor in her newborn photo shoot. Doesn’t she look cute on it?! (Thanks to Krista for the shots!)
Incidentally, I’ve sold 5 of my patterns for this on Ravelry since posting there.
As promised, I designed an afghan in honor of my baby girl and I just love how it turned out! I even submitted this one to Leisure Arts to see if they wanted to publish but they didn’t. Oh well.
I think I’ll sell the pattern for this one on Ravelry. So I won’t post it for free here, but I will get the link added to the item on Ravelry once I get it posted there.
I loved how the ribbon and pearls turned out. I was initially going to use white pearls but I’m glad I used the pink. This pattern could be real pretty in reverse colors too with pink yarn and white ribbon and pearls.
Update: I have added the pattern for sale to my Ravelry store!
Filed under Afghans, Designs
So the first project I’m writing about was not a gift for someone else, but one of the rare items I’ve made for myself – a Bible Cover for my wedding this past summer.
I found the pattern for this cover years ago in a crochet magazine and I knew right away that I wanted to carry this down the aisle when I got married instead of a bouquet of flowers. So I put the magazine away in the cedar chest where I keep much of my yarn, saving it. When it came time, I pulled the magazine out and started putting the materials together, including the bible I had received as a child in 1986.
The cover was made in three pieces (the cover and the two pockets) by holding two strings of thread together and crocheting cluster stitches. The edging attached and closed the pockets and included threading pearl beads onto one of the threads and crocheting stitches around the beads. Ribbon was woven around the edging as well and a length was left at the end to which I added an elegant pearl spray. I had to modify the pattern slightly to fit the size of my bible.
I don’t crochet with thread very often. I love the delicate work of fillet crochet used to make doilies and other projects with thread, but the small work really hurts my hands. Fortunately, this piece was made a little easier by holding multiple threads. It gave it more bulk than crocheting with just one strand of thread, but allowed the piece to remain more delicate than if actual yarn had been used.
I suspected that a lot of people thought I was crazy when I told them I was going to carry a Bible down the aisle with a crocheted cover on it instead of flowers. (Though no one actually said so.) But it turned out absolutely perfect and I pined a corsage to the front for embellishment on the big day.
Stitched In Love,